The Solution Generation Executive Committee is pleased to announce the launch today of its new national program, Solution Generation. Solution Generation invites and empowers presidents of colleges and universities, higher education associations, and other leaders to lead by example and engage their students, faculty, staff and peers in leading and building mainstream support for climate solutions in America.
The Solution Generation Executive Committee, comprised of 20 higher education leaders from around the country, believe that colleges and universities have the power to lead society on climate change today. We believe that now is the time for higher education to leverage our leadership on climate change within our communities and the nation – including the diversity of all of our stakeholders.
Throughout history, colleges and universities have educated the new generations of American leaders and citizens who have built our prosperous nation. As centers of learning and research, we innovate and inspire students, staff and faculty to acquire the knowledge, skills, and civic engagement experience required to change society. We can be the foundation of leadership by example and in building public support for climate solutions, helping America to chart a new course that will minimize the risks and maximize the opportunities presented by climate change.
Through the Solution Generation program and website, higher education leaders now have access to a national network, and a plethora of useful tools and resources for communications, engagement and operations that have never before been available. All resources are designed to align with the values and capabilities of higher education. They can be helpful to any leader, particularly those who have not previously engaged in climate change.
Through Solution Generation, leaders are also connected with like-minded leaders in the faith, health, business, stewardship and communities sectors through the MomentUs initiative, who align on shared vision, principles and commitment to climate solutions.
We invite all higher education leaders nationwide to join us to:
- Learn from leaders like you by networking, sharing ideas, and accessing resources to implement and support climate solutions
- Inspire and engage the diversity of your stakeholders and peers to lead and act on climate solutions.
- Advance your school as a model of progress
Andrea Putman, Director, Solution Generation and the Solution Generation Executive Committee:
- Dr. John Anderson, President, Millersville University
- Wendell Brase, Vice Chancellor for Administrative and Business Services, University of California, Irvine; Chair, UC Climate Action Group
- Dr. Carlton Brown, President, Clark Atlanta University
- Dr. Walter Bumphus, President, American Association of Community Colleges
- Dr. Anthony Cortese, Senior Fellow and Founder, Second Nature
- Dr. Paul Ferguson, President, Ball State University
- Dr. Antonio Flores, President, Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities
- Dr. Jo Ann Gora, President Emerita, Ball State University
- David Hales, President, Second Nature
- Dr. John Hammang, Associate VP, Academic Leadership & Change, American Association of State Colleges and Universities
- Heather Henriksen, Director of the Office for Sustainability, Harvard University
- Stephanie Herrera, Executive Director, Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education
- Dr. Muriel Howard, President, American Association of State Colleges and Universities
- Liz Maw, CEO, Net Impact
- Dr. Debra Rowe, President, U.S. Partnership for Education for Sustainable Development
- Dr. William Throop, Provost and VP of Academic Affairs, Green Mountain College
- John Walda, President and Chief Executive Officer, National Association of College and University Business Officers
- Dr. Jerry Weber, President, College of Lake County